Does your dog lick, bite, chew and scratch? Does your dog get frequent ear infections? Does your dog “break out” in crusts or bumps?
Dermatology & Allergy Testing
These are signs of Atopic Dermatitis, or Allergic Skin Disease. Atopic dermatitis is a genetically determined tendency to have allergic reactions to normal substances in the environment, like mold, dust mites, dander, pollens and flea saliva. Allergies in the dog are similar to “hay fever” in people, except that a pet’s allergies affect their skin. Allergies can be controlled, but not cured, and will usually get worse if not treated. Dr. Jennifer Prior has a special interest in the diseases of the skin.
Our dermatology and allergy expertise includes:
- Atopy/allergic skin diseases
- Bacterial and fungal skin infections
- Blood Allergy Testing
- Ear diseases and recurrent otitis externa
- Ear flush
- Ear polyp removal
- Genodermatoses (hereditary skin diseases)
- Hormonally-induced hair loss & skin diseases
- Immune-mediated skin diseases
- Intradermal allergy testing (skin testing)
- Parasitic diseases
- Serum allergy testing